You have severe TMJ pain. You’ve tried everything from warm and cold compresses to over-the-counter pain relievers. Although they’ve provided a bit of relief, you can’t keep living this way. The constant headaches and difficulty opening your mouth make it challenging to even get through lunch, let alone a day at work.
Fortunately, there are effective TMJ disorder (TMD) treatments available. At Dunwoody Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we believe that a non-surgical and therapeutic approach tends to be the best course of treatment. Even experts recommend holding back on TMJ surgery unless the circumstances are extremely severe.
So, what types of non-surgical treatments are available? Depending on your oral anatomy and extent of TMD, some of the things we may recommend include:
- Orthodontic therapy, to correct the alignment between your upper and lower jaws
- Wearing a custom fitted bite splint/guard to prevent muscle tension and joint strain
- Physical therapy and massage, to loosen and ease the muscles in your face and neck
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, for stress management
- Screening you for sleep apnea or breathing disorders
- Injectable medications (such as Botox) to help ease muscle tension for months at a time
Each of these TMJ treatments are effective and non-surgical. That way there’s no downtime for recovery and the results offer real improvement. If you have a stressful lifestyle, are always clenching your teeth, or your teeth just don’t line up properly, you’re at a higher risk for TMJ pain.
Relief is Just a Call Away
Schedule a consultation at Dunwoody Family & Cosmetic Dentistry today to start your journey toward TMJ pain relief. We’re here to help!
Posted on behalf of Dunwoody Family & Cosmetic Dentistry